Veterans Benefits

Nevada State Veterans benefits are provided for eligible veterans. Questions concerning these benefits can be answered by contacting the Nevada Office of Veterans Services at:


Nevada Department of Veterans Services

5460 Reno Corporate Dr.Suite 131
Reno, NV 89511
(775) 321-4880   FAX - (775) 688-1656

VA Hospital

975 Kirman Ave
Reno NV 89502
(775)786-7200 ext 2544   FAX - (775) 328-1447



6900 N. Pecos Rd., Rm. 1C237
North Las Vegas, NV 89086
(702) 224-6025 OR 791-9000, Ext. 46025   FAX (702) 486-5268



485 W. B Street, Suite 103
Fallon, NV 89406
(775) 428-1177   FAX - (775) 423-9371


155 S. 9th St. 
Elko, NV 89801 
(775) 777-1000    FAX (775) 777-1055



1981 E Calvada Blvd suite#110
Pahrump, NV 89048

775-751-6372    (FAX) 775-751-6371


Hunting and Fishing License:

The State of Nevada Wildlife Division will issue free hunting fishing licenses to any honorably separated veteran who has a service-connected disability of 50% or more. For more information, contact the Nevada Wildlife Division at 775 688-1500 in Reno, (702) 486-5127 in Las Vegas, and (775) 738-5332 in Elko.


Veterans Tax Exemption:

An annual tax exemption is available to any veteran with wartime service (including in-theater service during the Persian Gulf War, Afghanistan and Iraqi Wars). To obtain this exemption, take a copy of your DD214 or discharge papers to your local County Assessor. The exemption can be applied to a veteran’s vehicle privilege tax or real property tax. The exemption cannot be split between the two. To obtain the exact amount of this benefit, contact your County Assessor.

Veterans may also “donate” their exempted tax directly to the Nevada Veterans’ Home Account, which will contribute the amount toward the operation of a Veterans’ Home in Nevada.


Disabled Veteran Tax Exemption:

Nevada offers a property tax exemption to any veteran with a service-connected disability of 60% or more.


The amounts of exemption that are or will be available to disabled veterans varies from $6,250 to $20,000 of assessed valuation, depending on the percentage of disability and the year filed. To qualify, the veteran must have an honorable separation from the service and be a resident of Nevada.


The widow or widower of a disabled veteran, who was eligible for this exemption at the time of his or her death, may also be eligible to receive this exemption.

This exemption can be applied to a veteran’s vehicle tax or personal property tax. To determine the actual value of this benefit or to obtain further information, contact your local county assessor’s office.


Nevada Veterans' Home:

A State-owned and operated veterans’ home is located in Boulder City. The home consists of an extended care facility for veterans in need of skilled nursing home care. Future plans call for a Veterans Home in Northern Nevada. For admission information, see the Veterans Home webpage or call (702) 332-6864.


Veteran Cemetery Plots:

Eligible veterans and members of their immediate family may be buried at the Northern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Fernley, or at the Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Boulder City. There is no charge for the plot, vault and opening & closing of a gravesite for a Veteran. A $350 fee (subject to change) is charged for the burial of the spouse or dependent of a veteran. For more information is the Cemeteries webpage or call:
Northern Nevada (775) 575-4441 • Southern Nevada (702) 486-5920


Disabled Parking Privileges:

The State of Nevada authorizes special parking permits for physically disabled persons. Applications are available at your local DMV office or can be obtained by contacting the DMV Special Plate Section at (775) 684-4750 in Carson City.


Special Veterans License Plates:

The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles offers several distinctive license plates for veterans that include:

Ex-Prisoner of War  •  Disabled Veteran  •  Purple Heart  •  Veteran  •  Pearl Harbor Survivors & Veterans  •  Congressional Medal of Honor, and many others.

Applications for special plates can be obtained at your local DMV Office or by calling (775) 684-4750 in Carson City.



Veterans or their dependents filing claims for service-connected disabilities may receive a one-time free copy of their birth, divorce, death or marriage certificate from the appropriate county courthouse.


Recording Fees:

Discharge certificates are recorded free of charge to eligible veterans by Nevada Court Recorders.


Civil Service Preference:

Civil service preference is given to veterans applying for State employment in Nevada. Veterans with service-connected disabilities receive additional preference. For information, contact the Nevada Department of Personnel at (775) 684-0150 in Carson City or (702) 486-2900 in Las Vegas.